Enhancement of Productivity of Diversified Avian Species
- Developed improved Japanese quail varieties viz., CARI-Uttam meat type (BW 240g at 5 wk); CARI- Pearl layer (295 eggs/annum) and disseminated all over the country
- In order to address Wild Life (P) Act-related issues, alternate plumage color quail varieties, viz. White-breasted CARI-Ujjawal, brown feather white-breasted CARI-Sunehari, and all-white plumage CARI-Sweta have been developed.
- Developed and supplied an improved variety of turkey viz. CARI-Virat with 16 wk BW of approx. 5 kg (male) and 3.3 kg (female).
- Three improved varieties of Guinea fowl, viz., Kadambari, Chitambari & Swetambari with about 1kg BW at 12 wk) developed and propagated in rural areas.
- Developed, field tested, and propagated low input, improved indigenous chicken varieties, viz., CARI-Nirbhik, CARI-Shyama, CARI UPCARI, and CARI HITCARI for promoting rural poultry production.
- Naked neck and frizzle genes introgressed to develop broiler stock viz. CARI-Tropicana to withstand the harsh tropical climate.
- Introduced Ankleshwar and Nicobari breeds of native chicken and VANRAJA parents at CARI.
- Four breeds of ducks viz, Khaki Campbell, White Pekin, desi, and indigenous Moti are being propagated in coastal areas from CARI, RC, and Bhubaneswar; nutritional packages developed, and AI techniques are under standardization.
- Dual purpose colored chicken variety, viz., CARI-Debendra having excellent performance and is in great demand in rural areas was popularized.
- A new diversified poultry species, Emu has been recently introduced at the Institute.
- Chicken layer strain cross – CARI Priya- topped the 31st RSPPT (Bangalore) with 300 eggs/annum, 57.4g egg wt. at 40 wk age. (AICRP Component)
- Broiler cross CARIBRO-Vishal (1.7kg at 6 wk) topped the 30th RSPPT (Gurgaon) in 2009. (AICRP Component).
- Multicolored commercial broiler stock viz. CARIBOO DHANARAJA was developed and popularized along with other high-yielding chicken germplasms developed at the institute.
Read More about:
- Avian Biotechnology
- Package of feeding, reproduction, and management practices
- Processing, value addition, quality assurance, and marketing