Highlights of village ponds
- Occurrence of frequent droughts in the region has a serious impact on availability of water in the pond, which is the lifeline of the village
- Two ponds managed by community approach were selected and revived through scientific interventions
- Area of Baorli pond is 3.33 ha whereas catchment area is 196 ha
- Area of Agolai pond is 5.53 ha whereas catchment area is 780 ha
- Pond water is used both for domestic purpose as well as for drinking purpose
- Siltation of pond is a major problem.
Major scientific interventions
- Plantation of multipurpose tree species along the drainage pathways.
- Desiltation of ponds at both sites through community participation and scientific interventions.
- Rainfall-runoff monitoring in pond through digital rain gauge and water level recorder.
- Contour survey of ponds to calculate the storage volume of ponds
- Remote sensing based algorithm for periodic monitoring of water spread area in the ponds.
Read more: http://www.cazri.res.in/publications/technologies/T2E.pdf
Original link: http://www.cazri.res.in/